Blackout Rugby Hong Kong
It looks like you are not logged in. You will not be able to access all of the forum's features without a proper account. Please contact NM on Blackout Rugby to activate your account.
Blackout Rugby Hong Kong

The Official Offsite for BR HK managers
blackoutrugby.comStrategy Guides XdyxqeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
ATTENTION: All new members MUST register under their BR Username and then PM (Private Mail) "NM" via Blackout Rugby for account activation and en-order to access the HKOS, Thank-you.


 Strategy Guides

Go down 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Posts : 551
Join date : 2012-02-11
Age : 23

Strategy Guides Empty
PostSubject: Strategy Guides   Strategy Guides EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:48 am


PnG: 40%
Driving: 30%
Expansive: 20%
Creative: 10%

Safeway involves weighting the attacking structures based on their
inherent risk levels. i.e. conducting the safest attacks the most and
the riskiest attacks the least.
This can be adapted to increase the influence of either forwards or
backs whilst keeping the decreasing percentages in order of risk. For
instance, back-influenced safeway may look something like:
PnG: 37%, Driving: 28%, Expansive: 22%, Creative: 13%

Inverse (I-)Safeway

PnG: 10%
Driving: 20%
Expansive: 30%
Creative: 40%

The opposite of the safeway tactic. I-Safeway is weighted heavily
towards the riskiest plays. Such a tactic would increase the variance of
the results - and thus may be useful if you are an extreme underdog.
Once again, forward-influenced I-Safeway may look something like: PnG:
13%, Driving: 22%, Expansive: 28%, Creative: 37%, whilst a
backs-dominated I-Safeway would push expansive+creative to beyond 70%.
[Clarification]: By increasing the variance of the results, it is meant
that (for example), instead of having a 100% chance of losing
your game by 20, you would have a 10% chance of winning by 5, and a 90%
chance of losing by 40+.

Back button

PnG: 15%
Driving: 24%
Expansive: 35%
Creative: 26%

A general back-dominated play that will get your 9-15's involved in most
plays, yet still including a driving component for forwards to keep


PnG: 32%
Driving: 21%
Expansive: 15%
Creative: 32%

Gas-panic combines a high percentage of high-risk plays (creative) with a
high percentage of ultra-safe plays (PnG). A play of 32% represents a
10% chance of repeating the same play twice in a row, something which
should probably be kept to a minimum, especially with the creative

A note on kicking

Think of kicking for touch as a gain of 20-50 metres in return for a
dice-roll between the locks for who will get the ball back. What
percentage of your plays would you like to take this chance?
Obviously you would have to be very confident in your lineout to kick
70% or more of time, as you will not get very far kicking the ball
straight back to the opposition every time you regain it. In saying
that, if your lineout is considerably stronger than your opponents, in
general, the rest of your team will be aswell and this raises the point
that you may be better off with running one expansive play.
A high kicking game is recommended when the relative difference between
your and your opponent's lineout (locks, lifters, etc.) is greater than
the difference between the remaining players (the backs, for instance).
Obviously this is not exactly easy to determine, but the key point is
that kicking (and your other tactics) should be based around the strengths
of your team, the positions where your key players play, and the
weaknesses of your opponent. There is no one size fits all level
for kicking and tactics.
If in doubt, a kick for touch level of
around 30-35% will provide enough in-game feedback and insight for you
to determine if this level as appropriate for your lineout and opponent.
Back to top Go down
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Posts : 551
Join date : 2012-02-11
Age : 23

Strategy Guides Empty
PostSubject: Wilsonkwoks strategy   Strategy Guides EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:49 am

Tactics V2

Should you be playing the same tactics every game? Against some opponents you'll find almost every one of your players has a higher CSR than your opponents corresponding player, in which case you'll want to play a relatively safe game, controlling possession and ensuring you build points from converting inevitable line-breaks to tries.
Other times you may find yourself well behind in the player skills department in which case playing safe will just be an attempt to minimise the margin you lose by. A higher risk, high variability tactic may be better suited in the hopes that you can convert 5 of the 12 creative plays into tries to pull off that great upset.
It's clear we should sometimes be varying our tactics, at least when we know we are a huge favourite, and when we are a huge underdog. But how should we go about it? We'll be looking at a number of play styles used in the football/soccer management game, Football Manager 2010 (FM10) for some hints..

We've broken the tactics down into 7 styles, which vary from those used in FM10 but the general idea will remain the same.

Overload For situations where you need to go all out for a result. Overload will represent something like the 'I-Safeway' from the V1 Tactics, with high expansive and creative percentages, as well as a relatively high percentage of kicking. We want to play very direct rugby and not necessarily minimise the time the opponent has with the ball, but maximize our utility the times we have the ball.
Control A slower tactic where we do not need to urgently score points. We want to create space using slow, repeated sets of driving plays and then run at gaps using a quick expansive play out wide. This tactic is preferred when our opponents are playing an attacking style which we can control by slowing play down and picking off gaps, rather than a defensive style where we are unable to force lapses in defense.
Attack (I) Essentially a toned-down version of the overload tactic. Here we want to use the entire width of the field and still use the I-Safeway philosophy, however without being as extreme in the creative and expansive slots as overload. Still a high risk tactic that will give us a good blowout score over significantly weaker opposition, but also one in which we are vulnerable to controlling tactics should our try-scoring opportunities be plundered an abnormally high amount.
Attack (II) A more conservative attacking tactic that is a cross between Control and Attack (I). We'll lose the I-Safeway spread and move some creative plays to PnG and Driving, to make it a slower, less riskier tactic than Attack (I). The reduced amount of creative plays shift our main playmaking function to driving sets, followed by an expansive play to force a gap in the defense. We want to hold onto the ball more than in Attack (I) to ensure the forcing play is carried out until an expansive play is executed.
Balanced As the name says, a balanced tactic with tight marking that has the capability of (randomly) playing a slow, forcful PnG and driving game, a repeated Driving sets + Expansive play game, or an attacking play with the possibility of consecutive expansive/creative plays being relatively large.
Counter A mix of Attack (II) and Control with an increased Expansive style. Instead of running repeated driving sets and trying force a gap, we're happy to run either with an expansive or creative play more than 50% of the time when we first get the football (such as from a turnover, kick return from within the opponent's 22, scrum win, etc.). Since we're not relying on driving plays to slowly bring us downfield, we're happy to kick posession to our opponents after 3 or 4 plays without a linebreak, in the hopes that once we do regain possession, we can do so while they have a disorganised defense.
Defensive For keeping possession and making slow plays. It is a version of V1's Safeway tactic, with high PnG and Driving, and a low creative play percentage. We want to hold onto the ball, so it has a low kicking percentage, but it can be dangerous when taking the ball up from our own half. We need to make sure we are playing with good discipline to reduce penalties against us within kicking range, and that our players have relatively good handling to reduce errors in our own half.

Piecing together the tactics, we get:

Tactic PnG Driving Expansive Creative Kicking % Discipline Defense
Overload 10 26 30 34 35 Norm/Agg Rush
Control 21 35 31 13 20 BTB/Norm Drift/M2M
Attack (I) 14 26 29 31 25 Norm Any
Attack (II) 18 29 29 24 15 BT/Norm Drift/M2M
Balanced 24 30 25 21 20 Norm M2M
Counter 16 31 34 19 32 Any Rush/M2M
Defensive 31 30 22 17 12 BtB/Norm Drift/M2M
As with everything that relates to your team, you'll need to adjust these settings based on your team. If your Drift defense rating is at Impressive but your M2M is at Non-Existent and you'd like to play the Balanced tactic for a one-off game, you may aswell keep using your Impressive Drift unless you'll devote to training up M2M until Impressive. Everything in the above table is simply a recommendation and modifications based on your current situation may be required.
Back to top Go down
Strategy Guides
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
» Stawell Gift Form Guide
» Marathon racing strategies

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Blackout Rugby Hong Kong :: Blackout Rugby Management Help :: Guides-
Jump to: